Friday, December 28, 2012

First Week in the MTC


Hello again family!
It is finally P-day! I'm still in sweats and I plan to stay this way until like 4 when we have to put missionary clothes back on. I realized the other day after I emailed you guys, I don't know if I ever told you why I'm staying til the 15th? Well, I should've come to the MTC the day after Christmas (yesterday...), but we didn't get any new missionaries yesterday because travel is too chaotic the day after Christmas. So, we just get an extra week of practice before being shipped out to the field. I am actually going on the 15th and I'm still just teaching in English. I think I might go crazy if I had to stay in the MTC for 6-9 weeks. It's great, really! But, I'm so sick of the food and I'm ready to have a bathroom in my apartment. :)
I don't really know what to tell you guys... We started with a new investigator last night. We were supposed to meet with him for half an hour, but it turned into a full hour. It was good to just talk to him and hear about his life, but he talked a lot so I don't know how much he actually heard and understood from us. So that was kind of hard. We'll meet with him two more times while we're here so hopefully we can get somewhere. Dad, did they have the TRC when you were here? I don't remember what it stands for, but they have volunteers and a few paid investigators for us to practice on. The progressing investigators--the one we met last night, Jorge--is one of the paid ones. I don't know how they do it because I'm sure they hear a lot of the same things over and over again and he was still patient and willing to listen. 
What do you guys want to know? Any questions you're just dying to know the answer to? I don't know what to tell you... :)

I still love and miss you guys! But, I really do love being here. I'm learning a ton! I'm nervous to get out into the field after the safety of teaching here, but I'm excited to get going. In three weeks... Haha
LOVE YOU!
Mal

I remembered something else! THE PACKAGE! Thank you! The watch is much appreciated. The box said that it had removable links, but I haven't figured out how to remove them. Eventually I will figure it out... Other than that though, I love it; thank you. Thank you for all the treats and odds and ends too! Perfume, and gloves, and the scarf, and tape, and envelopes, and a shoe shiner, and socks, and... I'm sure there was something else. :) Thank you! Did you feel the inside of the gloves? It's like wearing fuzzy socks on my hands. They rock! Your letter from last week said there should have been two packages, but I only got one from you... What was in the other one? Did you actually put it all in the one? I hope so...

I tried pulling the handle out of my suitcase last night. Nothin. I don't know why it's stuck, but I'm gonna keep working on it cuz it was really hard to hunch over to wheel it around. Any suggestions?

I got your letters after I sent my first email so: I have some Romanian missionaries in my Branch and there are no Oswalds in the presidency. I'll try and ask one of the Romanians in my branch if there are others though. My only roommates are my companions and all three of us are going to Fort Worth. Sorry I never got my testimony done for Angi to send to Grandpa! But, I'm glad you found my farewell talk with it. That's lovely.

Haley: I am SO sick of the MTC food. It's just like cafeteria food--it's a step or two up from like elementary school cafeteria. Most of it doesn't taste terrible, but it doesn't sit well. Our whole district has talked about how like half an hour after meals we just have gurgly, weird stomachs. No me gusta. The chocolate milk is great! I don't drink it at every meal, like Chad did, but it is good! And I have been very grateful for the cereal! I've had a few nights, where none of the meal options sounded good, so I just had cereal. Genius. You could easily survive on cereal, and they have bread for sandwiches and toast available all the time. I am absolutely avoiding the orange juice! I've heard from multiple people to avoid it, so I'm not gonna risk it. I just stick with the chocolate milk. Yes, classes are all taught by RM's. I have one dorky, funny teacher, and then one very quiet serious teacher. They're both good, but no romantic interest haha. That is how Hilary's parents met though! We role play ALL THE TIME! I see the purpose--it really does help you practice--but it's just awkward that it's with your teacher, or it's the one time when you're allowed to talk to an elder without companion supervision haha. Having shadows, a.k.a. companions, is one of the hardest transitions. I'm so used to just doing my own thing, so it's weird to need permission and wait for two other people all the time. It's not terrible, but I do miss being able to just go get food when I'M ready and such. I am REALLY sad I missed this family Christmas party! Thank you for such a detailed description of the sweaters though. Who decided to make it an ugly sweater party, and to play dodge ball? That's fun... Edman's, if you read this, I congratulate you! Dad: I'm proud of you for watching Pitch Perfect. It's fantastic! I don't know how appropriate it is, but it has been quoted here... :)

Okay, well I really am out of time. I love you all still!
Love, 
Mal


No comments: