Sunday, August 28, 2011

learn [lurn]: to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience

*This post is not part of the 30 Day Challenge. I might get back to that later...


College is good for learning. I've learned this the past 2 years I've been a college student. Some of my favorite things I've learned:
Bad air days in Logan = 35 micrograms per meter of gunk. That means that we're breathing in 2,000-2,500 particles per breath. The particles are a combination of cow poop and car exhaust primarily. Appetizing, eh?

Scientists drill into ice and extract the air from the little bubbles to find out what was in the air gazillions of years ago. I find that fascinating!

The sky is blue because our atmosphere absorbs all the other colors of the light spectrum sent from the sun. Sunrises and sunsets are different colors because of the different angle sunlight comes through the atmosphere at. Explain that to a curious 5 year old.

The U.S. uses 100 Quads of energy per year. That translates to about 25% of the energy used in the world. We also produce about 25% of the energy.

The unit horsepower--like with cars--is not actually used by scientists. They convert it to that just for the advertising. Apparently it means something to us consumers.

Microwaving a new bar of soap is highly entertaining! Because soap has so much water in it, heating it up turns it to water vapor making it EXPAND!

Fossil fuels are a finite resource. They will run out. We can't keep using them like they'll last forever--they won't. (Kaitlin, that was for you.) An electric car like a Prius is supposed to help that, right? Wrong. They're electric, meaning they need electricity. Which we get... by burning fossil fuels. Fail.

Apparently third grade reading scores determine the number of prison cells built? Low reading scores starting in third grade lead to criminal behavior, supposedly. It seems a little far fetched, but nerve wracking to me as a future teacher too.

I can "diagnose" quite a few psychological disorders. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder are two different disorders. If you know Cathy Ringwood, you've experienced her Obsessive Compulsive PERSONALITY. The Joker and Lord Voldemort can be considered Antisocial Personalities.

And just because I was in Dance Company in junior high, doesn't mean I'm still a good dancer. Especially ballroom. No sir! I'm not a very good follower.

Besides testable knowledge and useless facts, I've learned a lot about becoming and being myself.

As I've said before, my English papers (and autobiography) have proved to me that my mom has been a huge influence in things I enjoy and who I am altogether. I noticed near the end of last semester that, not only do I love doing all the crafty, creative stuff my mom does, our personalities are also very similar in some ways. I'm still a daddy's girl, but I'm quite alright growing up to be my mom.

If it wasn't already proven to me in high school, I am a CHAMPION procrastinator! Nothing is ever done early. Last second is the only way I know how.

I've recently realized that I have an issue with empty promises. I say I'll go with someone or do something... and then I come up with an excuse to get out of it. Elementary kids aren't gonna like that much. I should probably work on being a little more trustworthy.

I'm extremely stubborn. I don't know if the fact that this being pointed out to me was new because I really didn't recognize it, or if I was in denial... The first little while I had to call it strong-willed or determined because stubborn seemed too harsh. At this point, I've fully accepted it.

As Melissa put it, I'm "fiercely independent." I don't like being told what to do and nagged, but no one does. I also don't like being watched over; I don't feel like I need or want someone who is constantly checking up on me and always worried about me. It's one thing to check up and make sure someone is safe and happy. It's another to be obsessive and needy. :)

After this past summer, I've realized that I don't actually do well with long breaks. It makes it a lot harder for me to get back into the work long-work hard mode. If I just keep working, I do better. I also forget how to talk to people. That translates to me being awkward when I'm thrown in a group of people again.

And most importantly, in the last week or two I've come to truly realize why I've chosen the career I have--I'm far too selfless to NOT focus my energy on others. And I don't mean that in the I'm-A-Saint kind of way, despite what everyone says in response to hearing my major. I mean that in the I'm-A-Much-Happier-Person-When-I'm-Helping-Others kind of way.

Over the summer I had far too much time to myself with nothing to do. That led to a lot of wasted time on my computer, watching TV, sleeping. AKA doing nothing. I didn't feel like myself! I was focusing on myself in an obsessive way. I don't hate my life and thinking about me so much that I focus on anyone and everything else to avoid it--I have fairly stable mental health--but having only myself to worry about this summer was not healthy for me. As that extreme probably would be for a lot of people, but it was depressing for me. It is so gratifying for me to hear about other peoples successes or help them achieve those successes. Failures too, I'd just prefer a happy ending. I've always been a listener over a talker. And I will forever be an advocate for The One over the group.

So really my decision to be a teacher is a selfish one--I need to be helping, teaching those kids for my own sanity and overall well-being.

My ultimate ambition is to bring this full circle--inspire my students to love learning as much as I do! I want them to know how much I care about them and would do anything in my power to help them achieve their dreams and reach their potential. I'm at least two years away from having my own classroom, but I can not wait! I've put a lot of pressure on myself which makes it a little scary, but I'm so excited!

Moral of the story: This blog post is me putting a goal into words. As this new school year starts I am resolving to get everything I can out of my education. I owe that to my students, especially if I expect them to do the same thing. If you're reading this, it is officially your responsibility to help me be responsible. I thank you in advance. :)

3 comments:

Taylor said...

I love you Mallorina! You are so wonderful and will be the BEST teacher. I completely understand about your selfish desire to be selfless. :) That's my biggest issue right now too. I'm coping and doing much better now, but it was depressing to see that if I don't change now, I never will. This next year will just be a waste if I don't do something about it. So that's what I'm working on. :)

Oh, and I love all those facts! That's incredible! I'm definitely a scientist at heart... :)

Love you Mal! Keep me updated on LIFE! miss you.

Haley said...

If you are going to copy me and change the words to colors- Don't use yellow. It hurts my eyes and make me feel like I looked straight into the laser at the U2 laser show. uno. dos. tres. catorce!

Jess said...

I know. I'm just now reading this post...like 2 months late. But I still had to comment!

Mal - you are inspiring. I love your determination and fresh take on LIFE. Your students will surely think the world of you. I know I do.

Love you chica!