Friday, April 12, 2013

The end of her first area- with pictures!


Hello family!
How was your weather teaser? I hear you got Spring for a second. So far, here in Texas, we haven't had any super hot days. It's definitely more humid, but I'm not drowning in the air yet. The weather still requires a jacket or cardigan, but it's definitely getting warmer. I am NOT ready for summer, but I don't think I'll ever be ready for a Texas summer as long as I live.

So, transfers. Transfer day is weird! It's like the last day of the school year in college when everyone is packing up their cars to drive home, and even though you know you're going to see your roommates again, you still hug and get sentimental like you're moving across the globe. It's nice to know that we have a conference (an Apostle and a member of the Seventy!) the first week of May, so I'll get to see everyone. My new companion is Sister Mitchell. She's a farm girl from Yoder, Colorado. Apparently it's about an hour east of Colorado Springs on the plains. She's a really good missionary! She's really good at talking to people (don't worry, I'm not the awkward, silent shadow), and I'm the organized one. We're actually pink washing (not white washing, aka opening a new area/both being transferred into the new area) which just means that Elders were in this area before us. That means that neither of us have been here in Waco before so we get to figure everything out together. We have a pretty big area that's spread out, but we have a GPS and a Mapsco so we're figuring it out. Luckily, the Elders who were here before us left the apartment pretty clean. It was Elders though, so we'll be doing some deep cleaning today. :) The ward we're working with is super involved! The Ward Mission Leader picked us up at transfers, and we talk to him every day. And the Bishop fed us our first night here and wasted no time giving us people to visit. The last ward I was in was great--really and truly, I loved it--but it was a small ward and so I think they were a little overwhelmed with their own work load. This ward though, is very organized. Apparently the bishop is a retired President? VP? Some big head honcho guy of a pretty big company? So he means business! It's a little intimidating, but great! I don't have any pictures of my new companion, apartment, area, etc. but I will get some and send them soon. I do have some from last transfer though!

This was my district last transfer. 

We drove Elders Jansen and Harris-Coons around a lot, so we got to know them pretty well. It was sad to leave them too.

My old zone. I'm not very good at setting up my camera on a timer, but this is almost every body. :)


 
 Sister Karratti and I found out that Elder Fulcher had a vest and we all brought them to our P-day activity last week. So funny!

Sister Gentry, me, Rachel, and Sister Karratti at the activity. Rachel became our favorite person/tender mercy in Chapel Creek. She lives in the stake and actually leaves on her mission this week. She wanted to come on exchanges with us to get some practice, so she came with us a few times. Then, because a P-day activity isn't a mission purpose, we can't use our mission cars to get to them. Luckily Rachel was available and kind enough to take us to our activities a couple times. We were abundantly grateful! :) She was so nice, and the night before I left Chapel Creek, she brought the three of us each a gift; she gave us each a watch in our favorite color!


Another crooked picture of my old zone. Between the two zone pictures you might be able to see everyone. I even played volleyball at this activity. I was by no means the MVP, but it was fun!

Yes, the reflective vests! We did actually wear them once, but not on this night. We hadn't taken a picture yet and this was my last night in the area so we just took this on our balcony. Hence why I look bald, because my hair was in a top knot, aka not helmet appropriate. The night that we wore these for real, Sister Gentry was really embarrassed! We put them on at dusk, so it was still light enough outside to really see us. We got a kick out of it.

The last picture of the three of us as companions... :( This was RIGHT before they walked in the building to meet their newbie. (Sister Karratti is double training again.)

Mal with Elder Fowers- Haley's roommates boyfriend!





And these last 4 pictures are with my favorite recent convert family in the Chapel Creek ward--The Molinas.  They were the last lesson I taught in that area, and then we took pictures afterwards. The kids all got really excited and I have at least 10 pictures of/with them. The first one is the whole family. The second one is with their 4 year old, Gigi. She LOVES Justin Bieber! But, she's embarrassed about it. Hilary sent me a Justin Bieber valentine, and I taped it into the back of my planner. I showed that to Gigi one night and her face lit up! She was so excited! She asked me at least two more times that night if she could see the picture, and almost every time I saw her after that. Thank you Hilary! :) She was grumpy in the previous picture, and so I asked her to take a picture with just me. Then her sister, Rachel, wanted to join us and we decided on crazy faces. Really great. And then all 4 kids. They're adorable! I'm excited for "my" first convert family. Hopefully they'll come soon. :) Until then, I'll just keep working to find them.


Thank you for all of your prayers and support! They are felt and appreciated. :) Boys, keep up the good work studying to be missionaries! Preach My Gospel rocks! It's my best friend out here. :) Drew, you're a priest! I realized last week that I didn't get to be there to see you get ordained and bless the sacrament for the first time! I'm proud of you for being able to do that though. I'm grateful for the priesthood and those that hold it and allow all of us to take the sacrament, and make other covenants. I couldn't do it without people like you, so thank you. :) You too, Dad and Jack.

I love you all! Hopefully next week I'll have some teaching stories for you. :) Keep praying for me and I'll keep praying for you.

Love,
Mal/Sister Goaslind






No comments: