Monday, May 20, 2013

Training, Preparing for her first Baptism


Family!
Hello. I hope you are all happy and well! Y'all only have 1 more Monday of school after today, right? I bet that sounds pretty nice. Except maybe to mom...  The heat and humidity has definitely hit this past week, so I'm jealous of you guys that will get to stay in a nice air conditioned house all day if you want to. I promise I'll manage though. :)
So the  tornadoes... we didn't even know they happened until 2 days after the fact. We would have been informed if there was a warning in our area though. Our district and zone leaders are responsible for letting us know if we need to be careful. There are members in our ward that would take care of us as well. They hit in Joshua and Cleburne, I guess, which are about an hour to an hour and a half north of where I am; about half way between my old area and this one. So yes, I'm safe and will continue to be safe. I'm assuming you got updates from President Sagers about that?
 
Guess what?! SARA IS GETTING BAPTIZED!!! We are so excited for her! We were doing our weekly planning on Thursday and realized how quickly her date was coming up. We usually have only been meeting with her once a week, but we scheduled an extra appointment on Friday to make sure we'd get everything covered. We taught all of the commandments... If you've seen Lesson 4 in Preach My Gospel, there's a lot of commandments! I would not suggest doing that to any current of future missionary. We didn't really have any other choice with Sara because her baptism snuck up on us, but I now know to plan better. Luckily, we knew there wouldn't be anything big that should hold her back. She had her interview with our district leader yesterday, and she passed! She's solid and so ready. For instance, when we told her about tithing, before we even committed her to live it she had calculated how much she'd have to pay. Yep. Golden. (It doesn't hurt that her IQ is 125. Her husbands is somewhere in the 150's. Just to let you know a little about who we've been working with. He is a literal rocket scientist at Spacex.) Every time Sara is mentioned or I think of something related to her, I get so excited! I have a feeling that won't be wearing off any time soon. You'll get an update about the actual baptism next week.
 
The past couple days have been crazy for me as a new trainer and getting prepared for a baptism. As you know, Sara will be my first baptism so I'm having to figure out how to coordinate it all without ever having seen it done. It's been interesting, but we think we have it all pretty much together. Sister Bate, my new companion, has been great though. She's 23, from Ogden, and is also going to be an elementary teacher. She's willing to work hard and just go for it! She reminds me of Taylor, my roommate from freshman year, but the sarcastic version. I don't think I've ever heard Taylor say anything sarcastic, because she's so sweet, so it kind of throws me off when Sister Bate does. I've been kind of a joke killer because I just don't pick up on her sarcasm. It's getting better though! (Jack, it's a good thing I have a sarcastic companion because I know I'm going to need practice to keep up with you when I get home.) Being a trainer is weird... I wasn't trained that long ago, so it's weird to switch roles. It's not bad, but there is definitely added pressure, like you said dad, that I know she's watching me to be her example. It's intimidating, but it's also good motivation for me to make myself better so I can be a better example.
 
Boys, make sure to keep me updated about your lives. Jack, I want to hear about soccer try-outs. I'm sure you'll end up in a higher division next season. Are you excited for that? Are you sad to possible be leaving your team? Spence, mom said you had a good basketball season. What are you going to do now? Are you still doing that Lego robotics thing? Drew, I have no idea what you're doing with your life. Are you still grounded? Mom and dad, I hope you're both doing well. Tell Stephanie and the preschoolers hello from me. And the Cannons! Give Fin an extra big hug from me for her birthday this week!
 
I love you all and pray for you every day! Thanks for all your support.
Love,
Sister Goaslind #1

No comments: