Sunday, June 16, 2013

Charity and Bible Bashing

Hello familia!
How are y'all doing? I hear the heat is kicking in for you guys now too. We were told that this week is supposed to be in the 100's, plus humidity here. Blah. I'm looking forward to having really healthy hair when I get home, because I hardly ever do it anymore. It's not worth it to just get all sweaty with it on my neck. :) How has the first week of summer been? Anything exciting happening? Do you guys have any trips or fun things planned? I expect pictures and updates if you do. I hope you go up to the cabin at least. If so, drink and enjoy the spring water a little bit extra for me. Water from the tap is no bueno here! We have a water filter pitcher in our fridge and we fill it probably 3 times a day.

ANYWAYS! This week for me has been good. No baptism, like the past two, but lots of experiences and things to learn. At our zone training last week, one of the sisters who gave a training challenged each of us to read Moroni 7:45-47 every day and to pray for charity. (I added verse 48 to that too.) I thought I would get sick of reading the same 3 (4) verses every day,  but I have loved it! Verse 45 lists all of the synonyms or pieces of charity and every day a different one stuck out to me. It was really cool, and I have felt like I've been developing more true charity this week. It's an awesome feeling! We haven't necessarily seen success in numbers this week, but I feel like I've become a better person, and therefore missionary, because of this week. It's disappointing and encouraging at the same time. Don't ask me how that works... Y'all should go read those verses. I promise you'll learn something new. I think my favorite spiritual experience of the week came from Sister Bates first Bible bashing experience. We met this lady named Nicki who was skeptical as soon as she saw us, but we kept a conversation going about the Book of Mormon. We could tell that Nicki wanted to believe the Book of Mormon and what we were telling her, but talked herself out of it because the Bible is her one and only. It was really hard to talk to someone so stubborn, but we just kept bearing testimony. We walked away a little flustered, but sad because we know what she's missing out on by rejecting us. I realized almost immediately after getting in the car after that that I am developing the pure love of Christ; I realized that I did love her and that's why I was sad about her rejecting us. It was so good to realize that I am developing that charity! And, I have continued to pray for that to continue since then. I feel like that charity is also helping us to prepare for and teach meaningful lessons so hopefully we will be able to see the effects of that soon. I don't say that to brag--it probably wouldn't hurt for me to study humility though--but because it was a cool experience as a missionary. I was sad for someone who I don't even know! A good missionary milestone, I thought. :)

I hope you're all happy and enjoying summer so far! I love and miss you all!

Love,

Sister Mal

No comments: