Hello family,
It's good to hear you're all enjoying your summer and yard
work this week. :) I'm jealous that y'all got to hear Brandon and Aaron's
homecoming talks! I absolutely believe that they were fantastic.
Mission story of the week: We were supposed to have an
appointment on Monday night with a guy who we thought was going to be
very promising. We had lined up exchanges and really planned what we thought
was a good lesson for him. While we were in the library emailing we got a
message from him that he had to cancel. We were devastated. We decided to go
past another one of our investigators houses during that time instead. She
wasn't there. There is a member family, the Bennett's, on that same street that
we knew had been pretty sick and with a new baby so we thought we could go stop
by there and see if we could help in any way. When we thought about it, we
almost didn't go visit them because we didn't want to risk getting strep. We
had decided not to go by their house, and then I really felt like we still
needed to. We did, and they declined any help so we knocked on their next door
neighbors door. There we met Joann. She came to the door with an empty plate
that she told us had been a piece of cake and she had been sitting on the couch
crying while eating. We introduced ourselves, and in response to hearing that
we were missionaries she told us that she felt like God hated her. I know
Sister Bate and I both immediately felt for her; we promised her that God
didn't hate her and she invited us in. We had a lesson with her that included 2
Nephi 2:24-25 and promised her that God knows what she needs and can
handle, but that ultimately He wants us all to be happy. We were there for
about 30 minutes and by the end there was hope; she was happy and appreciated
us. It felt so good to know that those things we had testified to her
about--that everything is in God's hands and that He wants us to be happy--were
applying directly to us as well. He led us to her, and we were able to find joy
in bringing her joy. At church, we talked to Brother Bennett and he and his
wife are willing to fellowship Joann, and said they would invite her and her
daughter to church and activities.
Funny tracting story: Sister Bate and I were tracting
yesterday, and I happened to notice a sticker on the window at one of the
doors. It was a blue octagon with white writing, like the ADT security
stickers. But instead of ADT, it said "Protected by 2nd amendment security."
I laughed pretty hard. A little taste of Texas for you. :)
I expect updates on the farewell next week! I'm sad that I
have to miss it, but thank goodness for technology! Dad, I can listen to it on
the computer. If you want to send it on a CD you can do that too. We stopped by
Dolores' yesterday and she did get your email about the Glenn Beck stuff. She
said it ended up being out of her price range, even though she really wanted to
go. Thanks for doing that though! Also, I've had asparagus a couple times since
being out here. Sister Bate made some this week, and I've decided I really like
it. Did you get some for Father's day? :) We were visiting a less active member
yesterday and she was watching golf. We bonded over our mutual love of Phil
Mickelson; I don't know why I like him but it probably has something to do with
the fact that he ALWAYS takes second place. Poor guy. How's being EQP? You
never told me who your counselors were.
Spencer, congrats on graduating elementary school! Are you
excited to go to Albion next year? Middle school is exciting! I'm sure you'll
like it. Also, your finger looked GROSS! How's it feeling?
I hope you're all still happy! I love you all.
Love,
Sister Mal

No comments:
Post a Comment